Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mind What Your Mama Told You.

My mom always told me the last thing to go on the tree and the first thing to come off is always, always, always the angel. I never gave this much thought, just figured this was some superstition of my grandmother's that had gotten passed down, though I always followed this rule of Christmas decorating quite emphatically each and every year.
Well, this year I forgot and as I was pulling ornaments off the tree yesterday (yes, nearly a month after Christmas) I saw that superstition or not, there was also a perfectly logical reason for this tradition of sorts. Being that the angel is on the top of the tree, any jiggling of the tree, even in the slightest, causes the topper to sway dangerously back and forth.
Lesson learned. And now, when Scott asks, "And why do we have to do it this way again?" I have a perfectly logical explanation to go along with my usual, "Because mom said!"

1 comment:

Paula Calvanico said...

And guess what, Mom is ALWAYS right ;)