Monday, March 11, 2013

More Fun With Ephemera

Back in September, Kelsey and I went to see the musical, Wicked at our local theatre. It was amazing, and I couldn't wait to start on the layout. But with 3 gift albums to start almost right after the show, plus all my other silly, boring old responsibilities, wait I did to start it and wait I did to finish it too!
Originally, I wanted to use paper from Graphic 45's Magic of Oz collection but I waited too long to search it out (I'm seeing a sad trend happening in this post....). There was nothing left at the one LSS that carries G45 and selection online was sparse and too expensive to ship. Instead, I used some of Basic Grey's Eerie collection I had in my stash and I'm quite happy with the results.
 

The background was created on a lilac cardstock base, covered with silver and purple paint and Slate Glimmer Mist, all blended together with my brayer. It took a couple of tries on each page to get it just right. I left it overnight to dry, which turned into something closer to a week. By then, it was good and dry!
The first bit of ephemera I used was a casting change insert. I inked it up with a couple shades of green and used it as part of my journaling card.


The other bit of ephemera I used was the program, which doubled as my title. I stuck it down whole, adhering the back page to the layout and then added two photo turns to hold down the pages. Embossing the photo turns with red glimmer powder gave them a little more pop and significance to the play.

I added a couple more red glimmer photo turns to the other page to give the layout balance. Above them is some vintage ric rac in purple and green, wonderful green brads Sondra made  in a brad swap from ages ago (these were the last 3 I had left), some stickers from the Eerie collection and all finished with a Stickled circle detail.

In the top right, is a sticker of a witch flying in the moonlight, framed by green spiderweb paper, with the webs Stickled.

So there it is. A layout that took forever to make, ended up nothing like I planned and yet somehow became exactly what I wanted.

4 comments:

Lisa Adair said...

This is so awesome. I love what you've done with the background paper, paint and mist. It created the perfect background. Using the program and insert, it just rounds out the pages so nicely. Embossing the photo turns is a nice touch, I never think of that.
I think it's just perfect, no matter how long it took, or the fact it's not what you planned!

Paula Calvanico said...

This is awesome! Your paper came fantastic :) what a grat lo of such an awesome time. We loved Wicked!

Sondra said...

OOOOOOH.... I like this a LOT... and not JUST because it is purple! That background is just amazing; I've been meaning to dig my brayer out... this could be the push I need.

I love the red photo turns - they really pop against the other colors. (and those green brads are just perfect! Do you need more?)

courtney said...

Sondra, those brads were awesome! They've been carefully hoarded and lovingly, sparingly used on just the perfect projects over the years.