Sunday, September 9, 2012

Me Layouts That Almost Didn't Happen.

The blog title really says it all. Me layouts. Some scrappers hate to do them, some love them. While I don't mind having my picture taken and I've made a few me layouts, there are many, many more that I've thought up of but never made. Me layouts seem.....indulgent and narcissistic. But they are just as important as layouts of our kids, husband, extended family and friends. This post is about two I had to talk myself into making because of the importance of the story behind them. 
 I very nearly didn't print the pictures for this first layout because they're not really all that complimentary. But they were funny, as were the stories behind them.  I used a Pagemaps sketch to create this (sorry, I made this layout months ago, so I'm not sure exactly which one anymore) and I chose the patterns and colours to mimic those in the pictures. The circles were made from glass rims and lids dipped in Mr. Huey's.
 

Now for the next layout. The picture on the right was taken for pure curiosity purposes. The fact that it was made into a layout had more to do with finding the perfect patterned paper (MME, Lost and Found 2 double-sided sheet with the oval mirrors pattern on one side, the tape measure on the other.) and me being pretty impressed with the results I saw when I compared the two pictures.


The journaling tells the story:


The title was backed onto the UPC strip at the bottom of the patterned paper. I love it when they give you a sample of the backside of the paper on those strips! Every usable bit of that paper was utilized for this layout. The butterflies are compliments of my scrappy friend, Sondra, who die cut them for me from her homemade paper stash. The colours worked perfectly. Thank you, Sondra!


And, just to show you why that last layout meant so much to me, here's the layout I made one year ago about attaining my weight loss goal. Since then, I've been successful at maintaining my weight somewhere between my original goal and five pounds below it.


I'm happy I got these layouts done. They're important moments to me that have helped shape my family's story. Some of my me layout ideas? Not so much. But I guess that's why they didn't become any more than an idea.

8 comments:

Paula Calvanico said...

you look friggin phenomenal!!!! I have been on a weight loss journey for several months now with hopes to hit my 30 lb goal by December. WTG you look awesome and the los are beautiful!

Staci said...

Courtney! You looks amazing! Can I pick your brain about weight loss sometime?

Sondra said...

Wow, Girl! Awesome ME Stories. You should be so proud of you. I am so proud of you. And the butterfly is adorable.,, so glad you liked them.

And your layouts are beautiful and colorful. The paint rings are a nice touch. And I love the pink and orange combo in the first one.

courtney said...

Thanks, everyone!
Paula, how's the weight loss going?
Staci, pick away!
Sondra, the pink and oragne combo was a surprising success!

Serene said...

First, congratulations for not only achieving your goal but maintaining it. You look wonderful and definitely leaner in that second layout.

The los are really nice. I love the paint rings and must remember that trick. The tape measures are a nice touch on both layouts and the oval mirror paper is very clever considering the topic. I can see how much thought you put into them.

Lisa Adair said...

I feel the same way you do Court about doing "me" layouts, but I know that one day my kids and grandkids will be glad I did. So you make as many as you can about yourself!

Your layouts are great! I'm lovin' all your punched edges. Really like the MME paper you used and the way you layered the tape measure paper. Great color choices.

And, might I just add, I agree with everyone else, you look fantastic and should be proud of yourself!!

Melissa said...

That's so awesome for you! I really love how you documented your weight loss, and especially the "one year later" layout - the measuring tape is a perfect addition!

Elaine. said...

You look beautiful! And what a wonderful layout. Great job on the one year later.