Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Look What Arrived Christmas Eve!

 
Merry Christmas to me! 
 

I took a lot of time debating whether I wanted this cartridge. First it was a question of economics and usefulness. It turned into a question of ethics, both mine and Provo Craft's. I bought the digital cartridge; they took a week to think about it and then took it away. Their customer service/public relations throughout the entire ordeal was lacklustre at best.
In the end, I decided that since I've been "not giving Cricut money" for years now, it would be more beneficial and satisfying for me to get what I wanted. I found someone who was willing to sell and ship to a Canadian address for the same money I would have paid Cricut to ship me the physical cartridge on sale. Yes, in the end they got my money but I'm still claiming a win.
It's mine, all mine......and it's wonderful!

7 comments:

Staci said...

Have fun with your new lovey! :-) Have a great week too!

Paula Calvanico said...

Ok, you need to give me the deets here! You bought the digi version then they took it away? Why and how could they do that. Not cool provo-craft. Glad you did get what you wanted. I haven't bought a cart in a couple of years too.

courtney said...

Thanks, Staci! I've already used it on a couple of layouts and it's a really cool, surprisingly versatile cart.

courtney said...

Oh Paula, it has been an experience! I bought the digital cartridge over the Black Friday weekend, the sale went through fine and the cart was immediately placed in my Craft Room. Over a week later, I get a refund invoice from Provo Craft, under description it says it's for sale to U.S. residents only. That's it. No other correspondence, no apology, just here, take your money back cuz we don't want it! I checked my Craft Room and sure enough, it was gone. I sent off an email detailing my confusion over why they'd sell me a cart I wasn't allowed to buy in the first place (my address is no secret to them, it's in my account info) and my disappointment in their abrupt handling of the situation. One week later I get a reply saying that due to licensing issues the cartridge is only available for sale in the U.S. and that the refund invoice clearly stated that. I was livid! Poor Lisa and Sondra put up with my ranting on the blog for days over it. I figured my options were to either make a big bonfire of all my Cricut stuff or find someone who would sell me the cart. It was a close call, but I decided getting the cart they didn't want me to have would make me happier in the long run.
I'm used to things not being available to me here in Canada.....I don't usually get why and it's incredibly annoying, but I'm used to it.....the real kicker for me is if you're going to limit your licensing, make sure you're not selling outside of those limits before the sale goes through. And if it does slip through and you can't just let it go, deal with it promptly, with some courtesy and a simple apology. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Sondra said...

I love not being the ONLY one ranting! JK. You know I got your back on any fight against The System. I’m glad you got your cartridge and can make your Trip Of A Lifetime memory book. It is just ridiculous to take something away like that. Exchange it for something else…. give you credit for THEIR mistake… THIS is the way for good customer service. I’m so sorry that my Peeps can be treated in such a shabby manor.

Now, get to work, Girlie! We want to see some Mickey layouts!!!

Paula Calvanico said...

That is such crap Court! The digi can't be downloaded but the hardcopy can go to Canada? And yes, the handling was atrocious, they should have handled that better. Glad you got what you wanted though :)

courtney said...

Not quite, Paula. I can't get either the digital OR the hard copy directly from Cricut because their Disney products are now only licensed for sale in the U.S. Once upon a time, I could have picked up Mickey Font at Michael's or my LSS. I don't know why that's changed, that was one of my questions Provo Craft neglected to answer.
I got my cartridge elsewhere online. There's a few ebay sellers and scrappy sites who don't seem to concern themselves with such restrictions.