Thursday, August 11, 2011

Same Trip, 3 Different Layouts.


For a special year-end treat, Cole's grade 4 class went to Niagara Falls. Although unsure if it would be such a treat for me, I volunteered to supervise. I'm really glad I did. My group was a pleasure to accompany (an advantage to being the mother of one of the class' prominent "problem children" I guess....all the other kids they give you are the good ones!) and I got lots and lots of really great photos.
Over the summer, I've slowly worked on the layouts from our trip. So much happened that day, I couldn't possibly make a single layout about it! Because each moment I wanted to document was so different from the others, it resulted in layouts that were in stark contrast to one another.
The first layout I did as part of a challenge on the MMM message board. It's from Bird Kingdom, where we were witness to so many beautiful, exotic birds as they roamed free through the aviary. This was kind of scary for me, as birds aren't particularly kind to me. But I minded my business, snapping their pictures and they minded theirs, posing and preening for me, and we got along famously.

The second layout features pics of Cole, hamming it up and goofing around while we waited for lunch. The colours are more vibrant and the whole layout more playful, taking cues from the background, his slithery souvenir and Cole's fun-loving mood.
And finally, a layout about the Falls themselves. I got the opportunity to take a whole lot of pictures of the Falls throughout the day. Another reason why I enjoyed my group so much; they were very happy to take their time, soak in the scenery and take lots of pictures too!
To me, the shots I got had a very aged quality to them. Likely just the water and spray playing with the lighting, but it worked nicely with these patterns from a K&Co. paper pack I had.
In my album, the opposite page to this is 4x6 sleeves showcasing more of my favourites of the Falls and the impressive skyline.
And there you have it; 3 very different layouts showcasing equally different parts of a wonderful, memorable day!

4 comments:

Susan said...

These are great, Courtney! Love the last one especially. The colors and the swirlies! And I'm all about crocheted trimmings!

Melissa said...

Love these! I'm partial to the first one - love the misting and colors!

Paula Calvanico said...

Great lo Court. Love your colors. Niagra Falls will always hold such wonderful memories for me. In Nov. of 86 hubs and I and his parents bro's and sils went for Thanksgiving...on the Canadian side. Imagine our surprise when we had the V8 moment that ya'll don't share the date! lol!! We stayed at the Sheraton right across from the falls and got a great rate since they were remodeling. Those falls are breathtakingly beautiful. Great time :)

Elaine. said...

beautiful Court, great job, love the colors